Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Boyracer - More Songs About Frusturation and Self Hate


For whatever reason Boyracer kind of reminds me of a british equivalent to Jawbreaker on this record.  Even the cover art kind of reminds me of the bay area aesthetic that punk bands like Jawbreaker, Crimpshrine and Green Day were using back in the early nineties.  As you probably know by now, around these parts we love Jawbreaker so these are all good things in my world.  Although its not out of the question that Boyracer did get some influences from Jawbreaker and their peers I think they are actually a great representation of the quality things about lo-fi independent music at that time.  I think a good measuring mark in the history of the band is that "More Songs About Frustration and Self Hate" was released first on Sarah records and then later on Slumberland.  I know that both of these labels have a lot in common but the reason I pointed it out is because I always interpreted them as being interested in the same types of music but with a different set of artists.  I think the fact that Boyracer are one of the few groups to release records on both labels kind of just illustrates what I was talking about when I said they seem like they really understood what was going on in America at the time from the sound to the aesthetic.  There is nothing groundbreaking on "More Songs.." but I think it is one of the better artifacts from the awkward early nineties.  Personally, its one of my favorites from the Sarah records catalogue and I think it stands up today just as well as it ever did maybe even better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment