Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bored Games-Who Killed Colonel Mustard


There are a million different reasons to love this record.  First of all it was released on New Zealand's legendary Flying Nun label label in 1982 kicking off the career of singer Shane Carter and the golden age of the label.  Carter later went on to form the Doubly Happys and then the Straightjacket Fits, both releasing records on Flying Nun.  Carter was only seventeen years old when Bored Games were active, even though this EP was released a year after the band broke up.  You can find a really great video out there for the song "Happy Endings" that shows his age if you look hard enough.  Even though this record is probably the least known item in Carter's career its definitely my favorite.  If you are familiar with the early eighties Flying Nun stable than you probably know what this sounds like and already dig it.  If you like early eighties punk with a spoonful of pop then you will love this.  I guess if I had to compare it to something I would say the Spiral Scratch EP from the Buzzcocks. Even though I do feel guilty comparing Flying Nun bands to their better known contemporaries because usually they were better.  I will post this whole record because its only four songs and I think they work best together since it is basically this bands complete discography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment