Thursday, April 16, 2009

Grouper


I realized today that there is not a single female mentioned in any of the posts on this blog up to this point.  I have been meaning to write about Grouper for a while anyways and this seems like a perfect time to do so.  Liz Harris aka Grouper is the Portland based one woman drone machine responsible for last years amazing "Dragging a Dead Dear up a Hill"  LP.  Although her music definitely does drone repeated listens reveal layer upon layer of melody.  On her more recent releases the vocals and guitar can be heard a lot more clearly which reminds me of something like "Souvlaki" era Slowdive on codeine-promethazine. I have yet to hear a bad record from her let alone a bad song so I would say its safe to pick up whatever you can find from her.  I know a lot of her earlier releases were vinyl only and are pretty much completely out of print by this point.  One song below is from her record "Cover the Windows and theWalls" and another from "Dragging a Dead Dear up a Hill". 


No comments:

Post a Comment